Sunday 16 October 2011

The Creative process - Abstract art 2 #iPhoneArt

Here's another abstract, which may (or may not) give you some idea of how I've been feeling recently.

Ugly_underneath
'The Ugly Underneath'

It started with FlowPaper and then I had fun for quite some time with Photo Studio.

The red effect was created by using the mask tool during one of the FX filters. Here's the sequence of images, starting with the original Flowpaper drawing.

Ugly_sequence

Abstract art is a bit like marmite isn't it? Some people love it others see it as an illustration of what's 'wrong' with modern art. Though the word 'modern' is a bit of a misnomer isn't it? I dabbled in the simplification of form before the wonders of the iOS. (Like this.) but never created anything as abstract as the things I've made during the last 12 months or so. Especially since having my icky gallbladder removed. Somehow it releases my subconscious in a way that more figurative images just cannot.

Wikipedia says; "Abstract art uses a visual language of form, color and line to create a composition which may exist with a degree of independence from visual references in the world.[1]"

I suppose abstract expressionism describes that side of my creativity better than just abstraction. In fact the Pollock app was the first creative tool that I discovered in the app store. (None iOS peeps can play with it online here.) Here's a piece from the master himself;

Pollock2
"Unformed Figure," oil and enamel on canvas, 52 inches by 6 feet 5 inches, 1953, Museum Ludwig, Cologne"

No comments:

Post a Comment