Saturday 2 July 2011

Update (look away those of a nervous disposition.)

I was booked in as a day case for my gallbladder removal. Hahahahahaha...NOBODY viewed this as ridiculous. Sometimes I feel that my GP is the only medic that actually understands fibromyalgia. Lucky me that I have at least one person in the profession that does, though I don't want to think about what I'll do when she retires...
Op took longer than they expected because it was more complicated than they thought. I suspected it would be due to the fact that I'd had three very bad attacks before I realised it wasn't my Fibro and I'd been slowly getting frailer and frailer as the months dragged by. My GP wrote to the surgeon eventually to warn that if they left it much longer I wouldn't be strong enough for surgery. So lucky me only waited 6 months...
The attacks had left the gallbladder scarred and it had become sticky, adhering itself to everything around it. I also lost a lot of blood and needed more incisions than I expected. So surprise surprise they kept me in hospital. I spent the following night, vomiting. Never been as violently sick as that in my life.
I never met the surgeon who operated on me. Never saw the same doctor/surgeon twice. First guy really hurt me and was expecting me to have an appetite after having spent 12 hours vomiting... Apparently it's easy to nick something whilst they are in there and bile can start leaking out. They figure this out primarily in two ways. Firstly you have no appetite. Secondly the belly becomes hard. He decided if I didn't make a better effort to eat they'd take yet more bloods and do an ultrasound. Younger flunky with him was instructed to return that afternoon. She didn't. She just rang the ward to tell them to take blood. So began the familiar hospital pastime of waiting...I won't take you through the next 36 hours of farce that happened...it was like an episode of a sitcom. Only living it wasn't funny. Eventually made my escape Friday evening around 7pm.
The multitude of scary clips needed to be in for ten days and I've just had a district nurse remove them. Glad that's over. They were really starting to hurt. Very painful having them removed too :( Good old Fibro eh? One wound is gaping a little apparently, so has been redressed.
Have I given too much information?!
It'll be about 6 weeks before I can return to 'normal', I'm already getting frustrated by being unable to do even less :tsk: Silly Sand (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive